The creation story of Genesis 1 & 2 is very familiar to us today. The ancients would have seen and understood it different than we do. In the ancient world, the creation section would have been common discussion among the learned and wise men. This is still true today. However, this question for our study is how would the ancient’s understood the creation story?
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Genesis 1 (Bereshit) – This page contains the 3 things:
- English Translation – Jewish Publication Society 1917 English Translation
- Masoretic Hebrew text – with an audio reading by Abraham Schumueloff
- English Hebrew Interlinear – This is the special part of this page. It uses the aforementioned texts. It is divided into verses. Each verse contains 4 parts — (1) English, (2) Hebrew, (3) Hebrew is transliterated in syllables, and (4) Abraham Schumueloff’s recording is slowed down so a student can follow the text in Hebrew.
Genesis-1-Interlinear-Study-Sheets – Download the official WSB Interlinear study/worksheets for this lesson. This 13 page document is designed for the non-Hebrew speaker to see and interact with the Hebrew text with limited Hebrew knowledge.
Genesis 1 Commentary: Umberto Cassuto’s 6 Things about the creation story – This podcast lays the foundation for the teachings on Genesis 1.1 – 2.3. It provides information about Professor / Rabbi Umberto Cassuto and the 6 things he designates as important to understand this section of Torah.
WSB Show Facebook Page – The central online hub for us to met and discuss the podcast episodes.
www.UmbertoCassuto.com – A complete list of English books written by Rabbi Cassuto on Amazon.
Show Notes: Introduction [6.24] Literary Layout
- Epic Poem
- The Golden Thread
- Other Creation Stories:
- Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, Day 7
- Genesis 1 Creation Story:
Day 1: Light Day 2: Sea & Heaven Day 3 Earth (with plants) Day 4: Luminaries Day 5: Swarming & Flying Creatures Day 6: Land Creatures & Man